Monday, April 15, 2013

Menu Monday: Where's the Beef?



Ever since moving to the Midwest, I've heard of buying a side of beef. I always thought it was a good idea, but never really had the connections to do so (or really, never really was adventurous enough to pursue it). So when a friend asked if we'd go in together on 1/2 beef, we were on board!

I think the waiting is the hardest part. That and paying for that much meat at once. We ended up paying a little over $4 a pound, which seems pricey for ground beef, but when I think of how many steaks (the entire top rack) and roasts/ribs we had out of it, I changed my mind.

Not only do I think it was a good price, we got to support a local farmer and know exactly where our food grew up, what it ate, and where it was processed. These are little steps we are making to living a more local lifestyle.

So, for Menu Monday, beef is on our menu (But not all week ;). 

I plan to celebrate with some Sirloin Steaks today, but the rest of the week will be more normal:

Chicken broccoli Alfredo 
Meatless Chili over baked potatoes
Roast with potatoes and carrots
Spaghetti
Homemade pizza
Roasted chicken with potatoes and carrots

What's on your menu for the week? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics