Monday, January 14, 2013

Menu Monday: Freezer Food EDIT: Now with Shopping List!


Last week for Menu Monday I focused on freezing food for the Crock Pot. This time I'm freezing more oven-ready meals. I made fewer with the ingredients I had (I made 10 last week!), but I'm taking baby steps in having a freezer full of easy to make, and better for me meals.



This week I've made:




1. 1 Pan of Chicken Enchiladas
2. 1 Pan of Lasagna
3. 2 batches of  Pizza Dough
4. 1 Batch of Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Muffins- These did not last in the freezer.. because my kids/husband got to them!

1. The first step was to cook the rest of the chicken (that didn't get bagged for a crockpot meal). After I cooked it on low for a day, I shredded it and portioned it out for meals/lunches. About 4lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breast was used.

I used about 1lb for enchiladas. I mixed the rest of the can of rotel with the chicken, added taco seasoning, frozen corn, 1/2 cup of cheese and 1 cup of rice (precooked measurement). I rolled the mixture into tortillas and will top with a can of enchilada sauce and more cheese when I put it in the oven (I didn't want the tortillas to get too mushy).

I used another lb for chicken pot pie (not pictured). I made this the day I did my freezer cooking because it was easy and would bake while I worked on other meals (I have to do my freezer cooking in the evening/weekend since I'm at work during the day). This is an easy meal, I just mix the chicken with leftover or canned veggies and a can of cream of chicken soup. I added the broth from cooking the chicken and topped with a baking mix topping.

I froze another lb to use when needed.

The last lb I kept in the fridge and brought it for lunch as a salad topping. Salad, cooked chicken, and half an avocado made for a really great lunch!

2. This is a meatless lasagna. I cooked the pasta and sauce (I added a bag of shredded zucchini to the sauce), and mixed a cup of cottage cheese with one egg and basil/oregano. Then just layer the ingredients I did not bake this prior to putting it in the freezer!

3. & 4. I used Money Saving Mom's recipe for both of these. The muffins were such a hit that none made it to the freezer!

My freezer is getting full! It has been so worth the extra prep, because dinners have been easy, yummy, cheaper, and better for us!

















If you wanted a shopping list- here it is!.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics