Sunday, December 30, 2012

Setting Goals for 2013


I like the word "goals" better than resolutions. I'm not sure why. Maybe for me a goal is a long term thing and resolutions seem to expect perfection right away. At least to me. If anything, I'm a work in progress so I don't think that any change will make me perfect overnight. Even if I wish it would.

If you plan to set goals this year, make sure they are SMART ones. That word brings me back to one of my college classes {hahaha, like I didn't just graduate in May}. If you don't already know, it stands for Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Timely. So make sure your goals are clear, you can track the progress made, you actually can do it, you actually WILL do it, and you have a time frame to complete it.

So a goal of "Be more organized" wouldn't cut it. It isn't specific enough {do you need to organize your stuff, time, all of the above?}. It isn't measurable {how do you know if you're done?}. It really isn't attainable {there's no plan to make sure you're able to accomplish it}. It isn't realistic {if you can't even organize your goal, your life is going to be rough}. Where's the timeframe? I can easily organize a room for a day, but how do I know if that is enough?

So yeah. This has left me thinking of goals to accomplish this year. I've decided to focus on a few categories:
Home & Organization, Health, Financial, Career, Marriage, Philanthropy, and Fun.

Tomorrow I'll post the goals I've set and I plan to revisit them monthly to be sure that I am making progress. The good thing about goals is that they can evolve to reflect your needs, so I can change them if needed.

Do you set goals each year? How do you plan them out? How do you know when you're done?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics