Monday, April 25, 2011

How does your Garden Grow?





Look how pretty my tomatoes are! They are getting so big :) I can't wait for our garden to get outside and thrive. Last year I canned enough diced tomatoes to last until January of this year! I hope to have even more this year, though that means I'll need to get more jars!

If you are new to gardening, I really recommend getting a few plants and trying it out. You may not eat for months off of the produce, but it can still be a rewarding experience. Here are some of the reasons I love to garden:

1. It is locally grown! You can't get much more local than your backyard. You know where the food started, who handled it, and have seen it through from flower to fruit. You can have organic, locally grown produce for a fraction of the cost and eat well knowing where your food comes from.

2. It becomes a hobby. Getting out and working in the garden can become a daily ritual. I was even out picking tomatoes last year, while 9 months pregnant. It has become a family activity, and though I was the one who initially suggested gardening, my husband has been the one to be sure that our starts are planted on time and gets everything in motion.

3. It is a great life lesson. My kids are involved in the process from the day we plant seeds to the day we can jars and jars of tomatoes. They are the first to tell us when the seeds have sprouted and are sometimes a little too excited to pick the produce. Fried green tomatoes are a good way to prevent wasting them when that happens, just so you know. ;)

4. It just tastes better. Even if you didn't save some money, which when done right it will, the food you grow tastes so much better than the stuff your grocery store can offer.

5. It is simple. I feel like so much of the time we're swept up in so many activities that we don't appreciate the simple parts of life. Gardening is simple. You plant it, you water it, you weed it, you eat it. You don't have to be the best gardener ever to get something out of it.

Do you garden? What are you planting this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics