Thursday, October 20, 2011

Spirit Day and why I support it.

This may be a controversial topic, and I understand that others may not agree with me. This isn't a post to tell you what to believe, support, or how to think and you are free to skip it completely. This is only my opinion expressed on 10/20/11 or Spirit Day. I will not make this blog a platform or soapbox to air out every belief I have, but I felt that this day relates to the "teacher" (and "mama") aspect of my blog  so I wanted to address it. There are resources at the bottom of this post, which are more important than anything I have to say. I have also disabled comments just to avoid any problems.

"Spirit Day was started in 2010 by teenager Brittany McMillan as a response to the young people who had taken their own lives. Observed annually on October 20, individuals, schools, organizations, corporations, media professionals and celebrities wear purple, which symbolizes spirit on the rainbow flag."

I am a "Teacher in Training." I am close to finishing school, just to go back to as the teacher rather than the student. I value children, my own and every child, and want to give them an environment where they feel safe to grow, learn, and explore. The latest stories about bullying make my heart ache for the children who face violence, taunts, and more every day and for those who felt it was too much to endure any longer.

Personal, Religious, or Political beliefs aside, I think that we need to teach our children love and compassion. They need to grow up in a world where they know that it is not right to say or do things just to hurt another person, no matter who that person is. My goal is to raise compassionate children, not just by my words but by my actions. I also want to be sure that my classroom is a safe space for all children to grow and thrive.

This is why I'm wearing purple today.

And just because you never know who may need it:


    Depression Hotline: 1-630-482-9696

    Suicide Hotline: 1-800-784-8433

    LifeLine: 1-800-273-8255

    Trevor Project: 1-866-488-7386

    Sexuality Support: 1-800-246-7743

    Eating Disorders Hotline: 1-847-831-3438

    Rape and Sexual Assault: 1-800-656-4673

    Grief Support: 1-650-321-5272

    Runaway: 1-800-843-5200, 1-800-843-5678, 1-800-621-4000

    Exhale: After Abortion Hotline/Pro-Voice: 1-866-439–4253

   Hopeline 1-800-784-2433

Human Rights Campaign - http://www.hrc.org/
The Trevor Project - http://www.thetrevorproject.org/
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation - http://www.glaad.org/
It Gets Better Project - http://www.itgetsbetter.org/
Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network - http://www.glsen.org/
Web Statistics