Saturday, June 11, 2011

Here Home Hope- a book review.




I was given the chance to read and review the book Here Home Hope by Kaira Rouda. When I read the description of the book, I felt like it would be something I could relate to and enjoy. Though I had the goal of hitting the library, I haven’t made the time to read a book. I was provided the ebook free of charge from One2One network, but that does not influence my review of the book. I am usually a traditionalist and will give many reasons why I prefer a physical copy of the book, but the ability to read without a baby grabbing the pages or losing my place when I had to get up and get a snack or change laundry over has added some “Pros” to the ebook team.

 

Here Home Hope is a story about a woman who reevaluates life after a cancer scare. She takes in a friend’s daughter while dealing with an “empty nest” as her children are at camp. Through these experiences she ends up redefining her purpose. 

I started this book while enjoying a cup of coffee on an unusually quiet morning. I was quickly pulled into Kelly’s life, watching her look at her life with new eyes and attempt to take control of it once more. I couldn’t stop reading, so though I had to take breaks to balance motherhood and chores, I quickly picked it back up to find out what happened next. Kelly is imperfect, and she knows it. Her story is told through her eyes, and like many she is harshest on herself. Only when Kelly starts to look beneath the surface, she is able to see how messy life really is- even in “perfect” families. Even though I am 10 years younger, I feel like I could really relate to Kelly. It is easy to get swept up in motherhood and though you love and adore your children, and family is worth sacrifice, there is a time when you figure out that not every sacrifice is necessary.

I know that many times women, both those who work outside the home and those who stay at home (and those somewhere in between) can have moments where they question their role in life. The ability to make a choice between being home or working is an amazing privilege, but it also comes with the judgments others make about that choice as well as balancing your sense of obligation with your sense of purpose.

Kelly grows and thrives as she changes her perception of life and adds mini goals in the form of Post-it notes called “Things to Change.” Rather than focus on negative aspects (such as “lose 10 lbs”) they are uplifting affirmations. I think T2C (as she calls them) #4 “Don’t compare yourself to others” is one that I need to take to heart. I have been inspired to create my own collection of T2C.

We watch Kelly grow and develop as a person, in a time of life when people seem to think life is stalled. I admire her as a person and feel that her story can be used to inspire others to take control of their lives. They do not need to follow her example to the letter, instead this book encourages everyone to find their passion and take charge of their lives. “Just imagine how great it would be if we could all value each other, no matter what path we choose.”

 Click here to find where you can buy this book. More information on this book and the author can be found on her homepage, on her Facebook page, and by following her Twitter account.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you enjoyed the book! Thanks for your review!

    ~Malia @ One2One Network

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics