Friday, April 29, 2011

Round 2. Confession time.

Confession time:

Sometimes I'm not that great at this frugal thing.

I have such great plans, I keep a journal of the topics I'd love to discuss, I budget and plan and prep. I cook from scratch, buy in bulk, and work to stretch every penny. Many times we just do without wants. I got a haircut this past weekend for the first time in 7 months, we are in the process of redecorating our bathroom but at the moment it is a mess, we find free or inexpensive activities for the kids (we don't do sports or competitive activities). Even with the sacrifices, we enjoy each day. Sometimes I tell myself we enjoy it more because it is calmer and less stressful. Stuff adds stress. I also tell myself we give up these little things for a much bigger payoff in the end. When I'm done with school. When we save enough to splurge. When we are able to be frugal by choice rather than necessity.

Then life happens.

My daughter is sick again with what appears to be strep. She had her tonsils removed a year ago this month because she had so many cases of it. This is the second time she's had strep (if it is confirmed) since having them out. I feel so bad for my girl, that she's hurting right now and that she went through a surgery that may have helped prevent a few cases, but hasn't completely helped like I promised her. I feel like a liar.

My wonderful city is once again under a boil order due to a waterline break. Sales did not improve as much as I had hoped so I was set to make a "use up the pantry" menu. Pretty much everything I would have made requires running water, either in preparation or cleanup. So my modest budget was spent on easy to prepare and clean up options (at not great prices) to get us through Wednesday (the boil order should be lifted that afternoon). I also bought many jugs of water (I should have done this after the last boil order).

It's hard not to feel discouraged, but I am going to take it one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics