Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Ready for PreK

My 3 year old just graduated from the 3-4 class at his preschool today. They had an awards ceremony and it was really bittersweet to watch him stand up there and receive awards. He got certificates for counting (he can up to 12), knowing shapes (triangle, star, square, circle, diamond, heart, rectangle, oval), and knowing colors (red, yellow, blue, green, purple, pink, orange, black, brown, and white). I am so proud of him for working so hard this year.

I was also able to see from the ceremony what areas he could work on (since they don't do report cards). He was not able to identify all uppercase letters, say every letter, or identify numbers visually, so I plan to work on those areas this summer when I work with both my children.

Some ideas I have are an Alphabet Book (inspired by the creative letters that are on No Time for Flashcards). I plan to do each letter at least once and put them together in a binder to review. I may use some of the lessons shown there but also may adapt them to what we're doing on a given week. I can do the same for numbers. I also plan to have other alphabet related activities like spotting different letters when we are out an about, finding things that begin with certain letters, and more. It wasn't until today that I was able to see where he could use extra work, so I haven't planned a lot for him yet.

I'm just so proud of him and all he's done this year. I love that he loves school and I hope that stays the same for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics