Friday, May 28, 2010

Grocery Shopping 5/28

I went to Kroger for our biweekly grocery run. Due to how my husband is paid we usually only shop once every 2 weeks, and go back if there is something we end up needing. I try to plan it so we don't need to go back though, it saves money to avoid the store sometimes. This is nothing close to a usual week. We will be in a cabin from June 6-13th so I did not have to plan for our meals for that week because we'll be doing that shopping later. I also wanted to take this time to use up what was in our freezer. I usually buy in bulk and freeze a lot of stuff and many times I'll get more than what we need in a week and even with meal planning some things wind up in the back of the freezer (or out in the deep freeze). I wanted to use that up before stocking up on the meat deals that usually happen during the summer.

Photobucket

My goal when shopping was to spend under $40, and my total was $39.03 so I succeeded. I ended up saving $27.02 ($29.02 if you count the $2 coupon that printed) on the order as well, $5.50 from coupons. This is really low on the fresh produce, but since I plan on using up what what have I wanted to be sure the fruit we had and the frozen veggies were used.

This was a tough week for sales. Meat was on sale but I didn't get much because I wanted to use up what we had (and I know they go in rotations and will be on sale again later). Here are a few of the good deals that I did find:

Nestle Water was $3.33 each. I had a coupon for $1 off 2, so I ended up paying $5.66 for the 2 cases. Then since I bought 2 participating products, I got a Catalina (register coupon) for $2.00 off my next order. Counting that, I saved $3 and only spent $3.66 total for the two cases of water. It would usually be $7.98 for 2 cases of that brand, so we saved a lot by combining a sale, coupon and promotion. I know many are thinking that we'd save even more by not buying water, but the reason we do is because of where my husband works. He is restricted on what kinds of things he can bring in, so we have to manage and accommodate that. So though it would be cheaper to drink from the tap, this is cheaper than having him buy drinks at work too. Sometimes being frugal means finding what works best for your family.

Another good deal was the Jimmy Dean Sausage. They are usually $4.19 a roll where I shop, but were on sale for 2/$4. I also had a coupon for $1 off 2 rolls, so I ended up getting them for $1.50 each. Buy getting both rolls, I got them cheaper than one would have been regular price, for a savings of $5.38. ETA This deal will be even better with the $2/2 coupon found here.

The bagged Dole Salad was also on sale for 2/$5. I had a coupon for $1.50 off of 2 so I only spent $3.50 total. Since they are usually $3.09 each I almost got two for the price of one.

I also bought the All for only $1.99 (though I did get it for 99 cents a couple weeks ago, so this wasn't as good of a deal). I did end up saving $2.26 off the total.

The Corn on the cob was only $1 for 6 so I made sure to get that too.

I was pretty pleased with how much I spent this week. I plan to make a menu post to show how much of our pantry and freezer we'll be using this week, so watch for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics