Saturday, February 9, 2013

Save it Saturday: Handmade Cards

With Valentine's Day coming up, there are a lot of options. I've seen some really cute things on Pinterest that involve puns with candy or other things. I've also purchased boxes of Valentines with the latest character on them for my kids to hand out.

A little secret? It all gets thrown away. Some sooner than others, but in the end it's usually trash. I wasn't thrilled with the idea of just throwing away money (sometimes the sets can be pricey, and if you have more than 18 or so in a class, then you  need two boxes!), so I started working with the kids to make their own.  We use what we already have, so that saves the expense of buying cards or supplies, and I let the kids go to town.

I think it helps them to put thought and effort into a gift, they didn't just sign their name. It also entertains them ;)


I've decided to do this for other occasions as well. Why buy a card when the kids are more than happy to make one? It isn't a big savings over the course of a year, but I think that message it sends (to my kids and our recipients) is worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics