Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Felt Bow Ties: Tutorial


I've been really good about finding different things to make my daughter, but I've had a harder time figuring out what to make my son. I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner since I love bow ties :) 

These are really thrown together (I had a spark of inspiration 20 minutes before his school Christmas program), so play around with this idea. I plan to make some nonfelt versions and really wish I thought of this in time to ship them to my nephews! 

Materials Needed:
Felt
Scissors
Needle and thread
Hot glue gun
Alligator clip (or pin, if you'd rather pin it on). 


1. Cut a rectangle out to be the bow. You can make it bigger or smaller, it's not really an exact measurement.  I'd start with 5" by 3" and trim to how you want it to look. Cut a smaller strip to go around the middle (about 1" by 3".

2. Scrunch it to make a bow shape.

3. Sew a few stitches just to hold it in place so gluing is easier.

4.  Wrap the smaller strip over the area you just sewed. Use a glue gun to put it on.

5. Wrap the strip completely around and trim if necessary. Get alligator clip.

6. Glue on the alligator clip. You may have to hold it open and together as it dries so it won't stick together.

Then you just clip it onto your shirt or it can even be a hairbow if you want it to :) He loved it and I loved that I could make something for him :)



2 comments:

Web Statistics